Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Reminiscing a childhood.. .

I love my job! What is my job. . you may ask. Well. . .I work with children, that color pictures for me, greet me with a hug, tell me they love me on a regular basis, ask me many questions about life in general and at times frustrate me to a point of insanity. lol I was recently at work and over heard 7 and 8 years old discussing their plans for the summer and how they can't wait to play their DS's, and Wii's and watch their favorite shows on TV.  One of them bluntly turned to me and said "So. . .Miss Lauren, what did you do in the summer when you were our age?"  That is when a special moment happened. . . that moment when memories flooded my mind. . memories that had been forgotten, but were very special none the less.  A wide smile spread across my face and I began telling the children what I did as a child in the summer.  
I can honestly say I believe I had the best childhood any child could have. During the summer Brooke and I would wake up early in the morning, get the list of chores mom had us do and complete those first of course. . .and with no arguing! ;) Brooke and I finished those chores quickly and then our adventuresome day began. Now our imaginations exceeded any child's I know of.  My friends never could get into fighting off an evil witch in the backyard. . they would stare at me confused and ask "what witch. . there is no witch in the backyard." However my sister. . . we understood each other, and we knew that there really were evil villains in our yard that sought to destroy us. Our days were filled with laughter and excitement as we ran around the house hiding from creatures, and ducking behind trees so as not to be seen by the lurking witch.  We had a sandbox, tire swing, swing set, and the infamous teeter- totter. My sister would put all her weight on it, with me high in the air, and let go and send me flying back down to the ground.  Now for a 7 year old that is pretty traumatic.  We also had wrestling matches, and sad to say she always beat me. . .I tended to give in too easily.  When it was rainy we played school, barbies, and the most thrilling thing to do was to torment the neighbor boy or the neighbor's dog! lol But all that we did is TOP SECRET! ;)  I am so thankful for my play buddy, my sister, Brooke.
I finished telling all my children at the Day Care what my summers were like, and they stood there in awe and amazement thinking that I did have the most amazing childhood. Which I did.  One of the young boys looked at me and with all honesty said, "Well, that would explain why you and Miss Brooke are the best teachers ever!"  I smiled to myself. . I love my job!

4 comments:

  1. We truly did have the best childhood ever, didn't we? :) I too love thinking back over the wonderful memories we were able to make together. And I thank God I have an amazing little sis like you to share my life with

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post cracked me up! You forgot to mention your play you put on and recorded too...:) I love you, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard about the witch but I did get tormented by captain red-eye! ;) Hahaha love you guys!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete